Using Correct Anchor Text In Your Back links

Backlinks A link (preferably one-way) to your website from another website.

One way link Website A links to your website but you are not linking back to WebsiteAs an SEO marketer it always amazes me when I see other SEO professionals screw up arguably the most important aspect of off-page optimization which is the anchor text in their backlinks.

Just so we are all on the same page, let’s go over some basics as I don’t want to leave anyone behind here.

Offpage Optimization Anything you are doing off of your website to maximise your SERPS

SERPS Search Engine Ranking Profile (in more simple terms, where your website ranks).

Keywords – A word of great significance. In search engine optimization terms, a work or phrase you want to rank highly for.

  1. If you did link back to Website A it would be called a reciprocal link which No Es Buenos for SEO!

Anchor Text The text used for the part that people click on to go to your website.

Example: This is a free SEO Training. SEO Training is my keyword anchor text

Problem 1

What most people do wrong, however, is put something like

  • Click Here
  • Visit My Site

Or some other obscure text.

One of the most important factors for how high you rank is what is being said in your anchor text so if you aren’t making sure it’s your keywords you’ll probably never land on page 1 against the even moderate competition.

Just how heavily is anchor text weighed? Well, type Click Here into Google and you will see Adobe ranked #1 even ahead of

Nowhere on Adobes site does it say click here. They are not trying to rank for Click Here and it has no actual relevance to their website.

So why are they ranked #1?  Because millions of people are all linking to Adobe with Click Here as their anchor text.

Problem 2

When people figure out just how important the anchor text is they tend to go a little crazy with it and then they end up keyword stuffing.

Keyword Stuffing The act of stuffing your keywords

In other words, if they want to rank for Buy Houseplants (yes I just randomly made that up). The only anchor text they ever use is Buy Houseplants.

What happens then is the search engines see that and go, that’s not natural because when other people are just naturally linking to you, they are not going to use your chosen keyword 100% of the time. If it doesn’t appear natural then you can actually lose rankings from it.

Best Anchor Text Practices

Use a 70/30 or even 60/40 split. In other words make Buy Houseplants your anchor text 60% of the time but the other 40% use long-tailed keywords such as Buy Cheap Houseplants, Where to buy houseplants, etc

Mix up your 40% however you see fit just make sure it’s diversified and you will see a huge increase in your rankings if you continue to build backlinks on a regular basis.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *